Friday, July 18, 2014

Living in an Airport

Another Day Another Airport

Sorry I haven't been able to do much blogging. I just got home Wednesday after my sixth flight in the past five weeks. Hence the title, I've admitted the airport as my second home. Which is good and also not so good. Lay overs give me a lottt of time to spend wandering the crowds, sitting on floors and in window sills (I don't know why but I'm not a big fan of conventional seating).


The Pepper giving me inspiration      On the floor in Phoenix airport

Either way I've actually always loved airports. Uhh WHAT go the millions of people who hate them. I can see why some people hate/fear them. There is the "never been before it's so intimidating" fear and the crowded, stressful "is TSA really going to let him touch me there!" hatred. But ever since I was little they've been a really cool place.



Read this in the airport, laughed in front of strangers.
"Exchange students are ruining our country."
It's like the old days. Sitting up against a window turning gazes from the metallic birds launching off concrete fields, to the hustle and bustle of what must be a every age and every race heading off to every possible destination in the world. And people still think I'm crazy to like it here. Here, in this international flocking point, we're all from somewhere, all going somewhere. It makes me wonder about people's stories. Everybody has one. Each flight brings a new one to hear and a new one to tell.


Always wanted to be a twin.     Ryan Gosling?? Sadly no :(

Unfortunately not all flights bring the people willing to tell. The fact that I've turned to a blog shows how much I like to talk. Not everyone is quite so talkative and that's ok. I've learned the signs.

I Do Not Wish To Communicate if...

  1. Ear-buds are in
  2. Book is out 
  3. Lap top is on
I can respect people's boundaries but with a hyperactive mind and a more than 3 hours of sitting I'm not a big fan of sitting still and staying quiet. If my "Hi, I'm Tanika. :) So, is *insert destination* your final destination?" doesn't get me anywhere I resort to my books and occasionally, if I can find some inspiration, my writing.


Time to Take-Off

Looking out at my home of two years I don't feel the usual sadness. Maybe I'm getting too good at goodbyes. Lot's of things (that I'm sorry but must remain off this blog) are flowing through my mind. So I focus on the belly of the bird.

A plane has two sides. I always hope for the good side, the turning-side. You know the side where the bird tilts and you can look out at the views down there, watching at the ity bits of man-made miracles below. But not this time. As the as we lift up and tilt right I was sky-side. Man, I had to stretch my neck to look across the isle only to be stopped by a poof of Dallas-Dolly hair clouding the window. I sat back and settled for my window. At first the sun bounced off the wing and struck me in the eyes. Hmf  I squinted and recovered finding nothing more than endless blue. How boring. I let my thoughts fly from my head with only paper to catch them.
Turning-side. Leaving NC in 2012
    First view of California in 2012 and last view(for now) 2014

Flight photography. Not too shabby California





Cruising at 35,000 Feet

We are in the clouds, and my visions of blue faded fast in the now endless white. Clouds are the BEST. From the eyes of a bird they pillow around you like a welcoming bedroom. And then you're flying through them! Layers and layers of misty fluff, further closer and all around you, blinding the windows with white. In the cloud, that's the best.


 
 Couldn't get many good ones but here is the cloud bedroom and the blinding white.


At first it's a little weird. You can't orient yourself in a cloud where UP, down, east, WEST no longer matter. For a moment it's like your in a time machine. The clock may not stop on your watch but for once it stops being important. You're just in the cloud feeling a tad bit lost, and on your way to a different place. The clouds are a piece of magic. No matter how many times I pass through them I'll always feel the same excitement in getting a little lost.





I changed my mind. Airports are not my home. Airplanes are not my favorite.
Clouds, they are my favorite home.




No comments :

Post a Comment